[ RadSafe ] Re: Trying to track down for purchase a ScintrexUA3Uranium Fluorimeter

Bob Shannon bobcat167 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 10:20:33 CDT 2007

For the last year, I have been trying to get a response from Scintrex about
whether they are still in the fluorimetry business.  After 'one last try', I
just heard from them that they no longer produce or support the UA-3.

The most widely distributed similar instrument is the Kinetic
Phosphorescence Analyzer (KPA) manufactured by Chemchek (Richland WA)
http://www.chemchek.com/. This instrument is somewhat more stable and
specific than the UA-3 and, if used properly, provides rapid, sensitive and
accurate total U results in water and several other matrices.

I very much support Dan McCarn's assessment that ICP-MS is 2007 state of the
art. It provides sensitivity, and (my standard disclaimer) if operated
properly, is capable of providing isotopic U-238 and U-235 results used for
accurate determination of U enrichment.

Given the overhead involved in procuring, maintaining and operating ICP-MS,
however, it would appear that for smaller-scale operations, the KPA may have
a market niche.  It is also an approved method for US EPA drinking water
uranium determinations (ASTM D5174).

Bob Shannon

Quality Radioanalytical Support, LLC

303-432-1137