[ RadSafe ] Re: Trying to track down for purchase a Scintrex UA3Uranium Fluorimeter

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 09:37:27 CDT 2007

Dan W. McCarn, Geologist; 504 East 23rd Street; Houston, TX 77008; USA
Cell: +1-505-710-3600; Home: +1-832-767-0817; Office: +1-713-241-5726;
Austria:  +43-676-725-6622
 <mailto:mccarn at unileoben.ac.at> mccarn at unileoben.ac.at
<mailto:HotGreenChile at gmail.com> HotGreenChile at gmail.com
<mailto:Dan.McCarn at shell.com> Dan.McCarn at shell.com

Hi -

The old UA3's suffered greatly from the limited life of the UV laser and
quite variable UV light output.  They are not as easy to operate as your
friend might remember from the "good old days".  Because of significant
baseline drift, I used the method of standard additions (with a
micropipette) to calibrate the instrument "on the fly" and got very good
results.

Dr Bruce Thomson, Chair of the Environmental Engineering Department of the
University of New Mexico in Albuquerque has one of these instruments, but it
would require at least $10,000 to repair it.  New instruments cost about
$50,000 or more from Scintrex.  I took a close look at that instrument to
determine what it would take to repair it several years ago.  He might be
willing to sell it to you.

There are alternatives.  A more conventional spectrophotometer also has a
similar MDL and PQL in the high ppt.  I priced one built by a Russian firm
in St. Petersburg several years ago at about $10-$15,000.  The UV light
source could be replaced at a low cost.  The following hyperlink discusses
some of the more common analytical methods:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp150-c6.pdf

Inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) is the standard lab
method today.

Good Luck!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist