Public Opinon & Nuclear Project --Re: AW: [ RadSafe ] Asbury Park Press on Mangano's press conference

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 15:31:40 CDT 2007

Stewart,
You and I have been on this list for many years.  Do
you think that seeing the same issues being posted
over and over again has changed anything.

I do not think the public is ill-informed.  They just
do not care about issues that are posted on this list.
 Some on the list get all excited about DU, tritium in
ground water, etc.  And the same "facts" are repeated
over and over again.  How often have you commented on
Cs-137?  Has it changed anything?  Does it silence the
criticisms about nuclear power, fallout, etc.?

When you say that the AFDC was banned by the New
Hampshire PUC, was that only for the Seabrook Plant?
Were other, cheaper construction programs such as coal
plants also affected, or could they finance their way
through completion.  Of course it was short cited, but
what else is new in the world of politics.

You may think that I am short sighted, but I think I
am realistic.  Nuclear power will be a part of the
energy mix in the future.  How much will depend on the
economics, not the postings on this list server.

--- stewart farber <radproject at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> I honestly find it hard to believe how short sighted
> your view is on the
> effect of ill-informed public opinion.  Just what do
> you think drives the
> "economics" of nuclear energy??
>
> As was the case throughout the 1980s and forward,
> nuclear plant after plant
> was delayed [or 100 or so simply cancelled]  by
> demonstrations and public
> opposition which influenced Public Utility
> Commissions [PUCs] in ways that
> killed or vastly increased the cost of many nuclear
> energy projects.
>
> Once case in point with which I am personally
> familiar: Seabrook Station.
> Public pressure and blind legislative opposition
> responding to public
> pressure forced the PUC to ban what is called
> Allowance for Funds During
> Construction [AFDC]. AFDC has been traditionally
> used, and allowed by the
> PUC of  almost all States on large capital projects,
> to include the cost of
> new generating or service capacity in the rate base
> for a given utility as
> it built a new nuclear plant. AFDC kept costs down
> so the capital cost
> didn't increase as interest was charged on capital
> expenditures as a plant
> was built, and interest was charged on interest over
> a long period of time.
> Kind of like not paying down your credit card
> balance month by monthy,
> while you are getting hit with high monthly interest
> charges for money
> spent. A sure path to bankruptcy.
>
> When AFDC was banned by the New Hampshire PUC,  the
> lead utility had to pay
> interest on interest as the plant was delayed.  The
> two units planned at
> Seabrook was cut back to one.  Public pressure
> forced and permitted the
> Governor of Massachusetts at the time [Michael
> Dukakis -ah yes the Democrats
> standard bearer in 1988] who wanted to do nothing
> more than please the
> anti-nuclear electorate in Massachusetts at the
> time,  to exercise a pocket
> veto on the licensing of Seabrook by ordering his
> State agencies not to
> cooperate in Emergency planning because the 10 mile
> EPZ overlapped into
> Massachusetts.
>
> [Insert:  It was at that time during the general
> election of 1988, I wrote a
> widely published satire about the health hazards of
> "Strepdukakis
> antinucleosis" --but that's a story for another day.
> I was also invited
> during the election to give a talk to the New
> England chapter of the ANS in
> late 1988 which I titled: "Nuclear Energy and Public
> Information --Suicide
> on the Installment Plan"].
>
> In short order, the lead utility Public Service
> Company of NH went bankrupt
> and the one unit built ended up with a cost overrun
> [...]

“All men dream, but not equally. Some dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds and wake in the day to find it is vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com