Public Opinon & Nuclear Project --Re: AW: [ RadSafe ] Asbury Park Press on Mangano's press conference

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Thu Jun 21 17:07:40 CDT 2007

John, et al
Please consider that many of these issues including NPP wax and wane
over the years. Thus, it is important to maintain pressure in the
directions that you believe in and objectively know. Comanche Peak took
about twenty years to come on line instead of the expected five or so.
Yes, the builders made their share of errors, but many of those years
were spent in the courts
litigating artificial environmental issues.

If these topics were ignored by scientific experts (including you,
John), then the emotional opponents have uncontested access to the
public realm and I for one am relieved that this is not at all the case.
Demagoguery overcomes data in the realms of politics and policy where
most of these issues are decided for long periods. If the demagoguery is
intensely exposed, it then makes a difference in the subsequent policy
realms.

I'm surprised that any scientist might fail to recognize the import of
these notions. Note that we are talking about emotional vs scientific
differences; nothing here precludes scientific (experimental)
disagreements --  NPPs, man-made global climate change, mercury in
dental fillings and in vaccines -- the processes have been and will
remain endless to illustrate the value of scientific inputs to at least
temper the emotional arguments before they become policy.

Best to all, but watch out for ladders and black cats....
Maury&Dog
"The only way to make sure that government doesn't abuse its power is to
not grant it in the first place."  Give control of the Sahara Desert to
government and you will run out of sand in five years ....