AW: [ RadSafe ] Asbury Park Press on Mangano's press conference

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 16:10:55 CDT 2007

Jack,
I do not endorse censorship or apathy.  Rather,
appropriate actions should be taken, like writing
letters, going to meetings to present a case for
honesty.

Some of what you say is true about the public wanting
to hear what they think is true.  We are a rich
country, and I would say that many believe that we can
do without nuclear power.  They are apathic to the
issue so those who oppose nuclear power will win.  I
would say we need to challenge the nay sayers, but not
on this list server.

--- "Earley, Jack N" <Jack_N_Earley at RL.gov> wrote:

> I don't know where you and John come up with this
> "censorship" approach.
> And "apathy" by definition is indifference. The fact
> that we're having
> the discussion is a clear indication that neither
> censorship nor apathy
> is involved. Therefore, it's apparent that you're
> using the words for
> emotional impact rather than as a result of reason,
> and that's the same
> approach used by those you criticize.
>
> "The public demands information." Yes, but not
> accurate information.
> They're looking for information that supports their
> preconceived ideas,
> because that's what we all do until we're willing to
> look for reality
> instead. People are motivated to a high degree by
> greed and fear, and
> fear of loss is five times greater than the desire
> for gain. But they
> get really motivated when the loss becomes real, and
> that's the "worst
> case" I referred to. That's when pain and its
> avoidance become the
> motivators, and then you'll be amazed at how quickly
> problems are solved
> and fears are overcome.
>

> Jack Earley
> Health Physicist
> 509.372.9532

“All men dream, but not equally. Some dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds and wake in the day to find it is vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.”
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com