[ RadSafe ] Mangano's New Study

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Jun 25 21:04:21 CDT 2007

June 25

         More than a few comments on this Augusta (GA) Chronicle article.

         Our Tooth Fairy Project (TFP) friend Joseph Mangano is the author
of the study alleging higher cancer rates in the counties around the Vogtle
reactor.  One would think the TFP alone would keep him more than busy.  How
does he find the time to write all this anti-nuclear propaganda?  He must
be on the go 18 hours a day.

         The reactors went on line in the late 1980s --- presumably 1988 or
1989.  They haven’t been running for 20 years.  It’s my understanding that
the typical minimum latency period for hard tumors is 20 years.  Even if
the two reactors were causing the cancers (note my use of the subjunctive)
they haven’t been running long enough to do so.  (I know that sentence is
contradictory, but you get my point.)

         In light of the attention that leukemias typically receive in
popular press articles about cancers, since the article says nothing about
leukemias I think it is reasonable to assume that none of the cancers are
leukemias.  That leaves us with hard tumors and a 20 year latency
period.  Note that the article does not specify any of the cancer types.  I
find this a little peculiar.  It’s almost as though the writer deliberately
glossed over this point.

         We are told that the Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League
(BREDL) commissioned the cancer study “late last year.”  That would mean
Mangano, and perhaps some assistants, worked on their study for about eight
months.  Is that long enough to do an adequate analysis of the germane
cancer statistics?

         This link is to the Nuclear Energy Institute’s blog with an
article on the BREDL report.  The blog has two links to the report, one to
the report, and one to another report about childhood mortality.  They are
both PDF links.  < http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/>

         This link is to television station WRDW’s news story on the BREDL
report.  It’s a short and superficial report, and contains the Georgia
Power link (below).  The station identifies Judy Stocker as a mere
“resident” who wants to put people before profits.  (Such a clever and
versatile cliché.)  See the last paragraph of the Chronicle article for a
more informative description of Stocker.  She is from Keysville, GA, but my
Georgia map does not have a listing for Keysville in its index, so I
suspect it’s a rather small
town.  <http://www.wrdw.com/health/headlines/8098752.html>

         This link appears to be Georgia Power’s reply to the BREDL report:
<http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/nuclear-power-cancer-response.pdf>
It is about one and one-fourth pages of PDF.

         Blue Ridge’s website is www.bredl.org.  It has links to the Vogtle
report, and to a report claiming an increase in child mortality.  I
couldn’t get these links to work (they are PDF --- always
stubborn).  Perhaps you will have better luck.

         I find it odd that the Chronicle article invokes cancer rates in
Wilkes county.  The Vogtle reactor appears to be near Waynesboro, which is
the county seat of Burke county.  Washington (GA), the county seat of
Wilkes county, is about 60 miles NE of Waynesboro, and there are two
counties between Wilkes and Burke.  The article says that Wilkes is a
“surrounding” county to Burke.  With two intervening counties, and 60 miles
of separation for the county seats, that doesn’t exactly make Wilkes a
surrounding county, does it?

         I also find it odd that Mangano says the reactor is not
automatically responsible for the increased rate of cancer.  He invokes
“poor and high-minority” residents of the area as possible reasons for
increased cancers.  Perhaps in Mangano’s world being poor and minority
trumps ‘deadly radiation.’

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com

Cancer rate near Vogtle questioned

By Tom Corwin | Staff Writer

Thursday, June 21, 2007

WAYNESBORO, Ga. - A North Carolina environmental group unveiled a study
Wednesday that showed significantly higher cancer deaths in the counties
surrounding the Vogtle Nuclear Power Plant.
The Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League and its allies say that's all
the more reason to oppose adding more reactors there. But the study author
stopped short of saying the cancers are caused by radiation and not other
factors.
Vogtle fired up two reactors in the late 1980s, and the Southern Co. is
seeking regulatory approval to start up new units there. The Blue Ridge
group opposes that move and commissioned the cancer death study late last
year.
It found that since the reactors went online there has been a 25 percent
increase in the cancer death rate in Burke County, while nationally the
death rate has declined by 4 percent, said Louis Zeller, nuclear campaign
coordinator for the group.
"There is an increase in Burke County that goes contrary to what is
happening in the rest of the country," he said.
An Augusta Chronicle analysis of data from the Georgia Division of Public
Health found a cancer death rate of 225 per 100,000, slightly below the
group's rate of 231, but data for three years were not available. The U.S.
cancer death rate is slightly below Burke's, at 207, and Georgia's was
slightly below that for the same period, at 204.
Study author Joseph J. Mangano, the executive director of the New York
City-based Radiation and Public Health Project, noted the area's higher
rates of poverty and higher percentage of minorities, who traditionally
have suffered higher death rates from many cancers.
"My point is this area has always been poor and high-minority," he said in
a phone interview from New Jersey. "If you look at the period before Vogtle
began operating, some of the death rates are actually low. The Burke County
death rate was well below the U.S. And afterwards it was high. One would
have to look at it further, but it's not apparent that the poverty status
changed drastically in Burke County from the late
'80s until now."
The Chronicle analysis also noted higher cancer death rates than Burke's in
some surrounding counties, such as Wilkes.
"The more-populated counties and the less-populated counties, there are
some differences," Mr. Zeller said. "But the overall trend is very plain.
And that is that cancer deaths have increased, particularly as compared
with the overall trend in the United States going down."  But Mr. Mangano
said the report does not provide proof that radiation, whose emissions had
increased, is the culprit.
"This report is really just a beginning, but it does raise, I believe,
serious questions that should be answered," he said.
Georgia Power spokeswoman Carol Boatright said the company would review the
report, but government studies around nuclear plants found no cancer link.
Judy Stocker, of Keysville, a member of the Women's Action of New
Directions group, said the report has spurred her to try to stop any
expansion of the plant.
Reach Tom Corwin at (706) 823-3213 or tom.corwin at augustachronicle.com.