[ RadSafe ] This Day In Gadgets: ATMs Were Born Radioactive 40 Years Ago

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 11:36:19 CDT 2007

Never mind.  See

"Plastic cards had not been invented, so Mr
Shepherd-Barron's machine used cheques that were
impregnated with carbon 14, a mildly radioactive
substance.

The machine detected it, then matched the cheque
against a Pin number"

<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/this-day-in-gadgets/atms-were-born-radioactive-40-years-ago-272643.php>

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com