AW: [ RadSafe ] This Day In Gadgets: ATMs Were Born Radioactive 40Years Ago

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Jun 27 15:22:46 CDT 2007

Cary,

You might be interested in another (attempted) use of radionuclides for
stopping falsifications.

More than 30 years ago I visited a collegue in Stockholm, Sweden at the
Kungliga Tekniska Hoegskola (Royal Technical University) and among other
news he told me, that there had been plans to make counterfeiting of
identity cards impossible by adding a small amount of a radionuclide (if I
remember correctly it was an actinium isotope) to the card, which was
afterwards to be sealed. This plan met opposition, but I do not remember
from which side. Greenpeace did not exist then.....

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.