[ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Jun 28 12:07:52 CDT 2007

Ahhhh. The Americium crunch....

AFAIK (and Bob of NSSI can confirm) the neutron yield of any "Xx"-Be source
depends as much on the way you mix the two elements as it does the activity
of your alpha source. But the mean neutron energy of a Cf-Be and Am-Be
should be similar, given that this is the result of ejection of the neutron
from the C13. Don't forget the small (lower energy) neutron yield from
spontaneous fission of the Cf itself (~3% of the alpha production of the
Cf) which, given the low efficiency of the Cf-Be neutron production, may
change the overall energy spectrum vs an Am-Be source. and this may make
any characterization of tool response based on Am-Be sources invalid....

But, as Bob of NSSI says,  the short half life, that forces a very frequent
re-calibration of the logging equipment, and a short effective life of the
source are probably the overriding reason that these sources are not often
used.

(personal observations only: not in any way the opinion or recommendation
of the company I consult for!)
Regards
Doug