[ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Thu Jun 28 11:39:02 CDT 2007

NSSI does not utilize neutron sources for logging applications but is a key
supplier and shipper of such sources for use by our customers. With the
shortage and current high cost of Am-241, a number of companies have
considered Cf-252. The feedback that we get is that Cf-252 is usable for
only a limited number of logging applications. That, coupled with the short
half life has discouraged it's use.

My solution to the short half life would be to utilize a source holder that
would accept mutiple sources. As the initial source decayed, a 2nd source
would be added. As 1 and 2 decayed, add a 3rd. When it came time for
addition again, replace #1 with a new source and return #1 for disposal. and
on and on
I am aware of only 1 company seriously interested in Cf-252.

One other advantage of Cf-252 is that the source is a cermet and the
material could not be easily dispersed by a terrorist.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI
713 641-0391