[ RadSafe ] Californium vs. Americium

Syd H. Levine syd.levine at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 28 10:47:30 CDT 2007

Aside from half-life considerations, what are the technical issues with
using Californium in place of Americium in Be based neutron sources (for
well logging)?  Are the neutrons of the same energy?

My understaning is the half-life is 2.64 years and that the well logging
sources are made up with about 30 Ci initially so that you wind up with
around 15 Ci at the end of that time period.  I am guessing one might be
able to log with them for five years maybe, then they could still be used
for tools that only need 3 Ci or so for awhile?

TIA

Syd H. Levine
AnaLog Services, Inc.
Phone:  (270) 276-5671