Terror in the US & world at large (WAS: Re: [ RadSafe ] New Airport X-Rays Scan)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun Mar 4 11:23:11 CST 2007

March 4

         May I recommend "Dying to Win The Strategic Logic of Suicide
Terrorism," by Robert A. Pape (Random House, 2005).

         According to the dust jacket, "Every suicide terrorist campaign
has had a clear goal that is secular and political: to compel a modern
democracy to withdraw military forces from the territory that the
terrorists view as their homeland."

         Pape makes a strong case for this being true, (and not only among
Islamic terrorists).  On p. 243 he notes the increasing Muslim dislike of
the United States, and on p. 244 says, "The underlying reason is not
discontent with Western political or economic values, which are supported
by majorities or near majorities in these [three] countries.  Rather, the
taproot is American military policy.  Overwhelming majorities across a
range of Muslim countries believe that the United States conquered Iraq to
control its oil or to help Israel rather than to end terrorism or promote
democracy, and fear that their country might be next."  Pape provides
survey data to support these assertions.

         See also p. 316, fn. 4 for a book Pape recommends that gives an
"extensive evaluation of the growing resentment of American policies in
numerous areas around the world."  (I have only read Pape, not the book he
recommends.)

         The solution is not more people snooping through travelers'
luggage, not more Homeland "Security"/TSA goon squads, and not more x-ray
scanners operated by higher-paid inspectors.  It is to quit sticking our
national nose into everyone else's business.  Don't we have enough problems
at home to keep us busy?

         Please read Pape's book before you start flaming me.  Thank
you.  If you don't have time to read it, please read five or more of the 38
reviews on Amazon.com, where it received 4 1/2 stars.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com