Terror in the US & world at large (WAS: Re: [ RadSafe ] New Airport X-Rays Scan)

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 10:56:08 CST 2007

Steve,
Thanks for the information.  I would recommend "Jihad
vs. McWorld: How Globalism and Tribalism Are Reshaping
the World," (1996).

http://www.amazon.com/Jihad-vs-McWorld-Globalism-Tribalism/dp/0345383044/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-3822871-6040738?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173113505&sr=8-2

--- Steven Dapra <sjd at swcp.com> wrote:

> March 4
>
>          May I recommend "Dying to Win The Strategic
> Logic of Suicide
> Terrorism," by Robert A. Pape (Random House, 2005).
>
>          According to the dust jacket, "Every
> suicide terrorist campaign
> has had a clear goal that is secular and political:
> to compel a modern
> democracy to withdraw military forces from the
> territory that the
> terrorists view as their homeland."
>
>          Pape makes a strong case for this being
> true, (and not only among
> Islamic terrorists).  On p. 243 he notes the
> increasing Muslim dislike of
> the United States, and on p. 244 says, "The
> underlying reason is not
> discontent with Western political or economic
> values, which are supported
> by majorities or near majorities in these [three]
> countries.  Rather, the
> taproot is American military policy.  Overwhelming
> majorities across a
> range of Muslim countries believe that the United
> States conquered Iraq to
> control its oil or to help Israel rather than to end
> terrorism or promote
> democracy, and fear that their country might be
> next."  Pape provides
> survey data to support these assertions.
>
>          See also p. 316, fn. 4 for a book Pape
> recommends that gives an
> "extensive evaluation of the growing resentment of
> American policies in
> numerous areas around the world."  (I have only read
> Pape, not the book he
> recommends.)
>
>          The solution is not more people snooping
> through travelers'
> luggage, not more Homeland "Security"/TSA goon
> squads, and not more x-ray
> scanners operated by higher-paid inspectors.  It is
> to quit sticking our
> national nose into everyone else's business.  Don't
> we have enough problems
> at home to keep us busy?
>
>          Please read Pape's book before you start
> flaming me.  Thank
> you.  If you don't have time to read it, please read
> five or more of the 38
> reviews on Amazon.com, where it received 4 1/2
> stars.
>
> Steven Dapra
> sjd at swcp.com

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist