[ RadSafe ] [Nuclear News] U.S. to Owe Billions for Delays in Nuclear Dump, Official Says

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Wed Mar 7 09:11:50 CST 2007

NOTE: I am traveling weswtward across the Pacific. Therefore, the
next news posting will most likely occur on about March 21. I will
respond to individual Radsafe or Powernet posts from my Blackberry

*U.S. to Owe Billions for Delays in Nuclear Dump, Official Says
*Reid vows to block nuclear waste bill
*US pushes ahead on mountain nuclear dump
*Accused caught at nuclear site
*Barnwell site draws support
*UK Faces Energy Gap, Needs Quick Nuclear Decision
*Australians will accept nuclear power: Switkowski
*Czechs, Slovaks urge EU to debate nuclear energy

U.S. to Owe Billions for Delays in Nuclear Dump, Official Says

WASHINGTON, March 6 - The federal government will owe $7 billion in
damages for delays in opening a nuclear waste dump if the repository
opens in 2017 - the earliest date now possible - and any further
delay will raise the price half a billion dollars a year, the head of
the radioactive waste program said Tuesday.

The money would reimburse current and former nuclear plant operators
who signed contracts under which the federal government agreed to
begin accepting their wastes in 1998.

The official, Edward F. Sproat III, director of the Office of
Civilian Radioactive Waste Management, said progress toward opening a
waste repository at Yucca Mountain, Nev., near Las Vegas, had been
slowed by lack of money, despite a $19.5 billion fund financed by a
fee on each kilowatt-hour of electricity generated by reactors.

He said the administration would ask Congress on Wednesday for easier
access to the money. But he also acknowledged that the schedule had
been hurt by problems in his office and with its contractors; 60
percent of the work his office is doing this year involves
reanalyzing data that was rejected earlier because of signs of fraud.

The administration will also request that the site be permitted to
store more than the 70,000 metric tons originally set by Congress.
That limit was set with the idea that the Energy Department would
look for a second site, but it has made small progress toward opening
the first one.

Mr. Sproat spoke at a breakfast sponsored by The Energy Daily, a
trade publication, and Areva, a reactor vendor.

The nuclear waste issue has become more acute because for the first
time since the 1970s, companies want to build new reactors, according
to Mr. Sproat and others. But Mr. Sproat said investors would not
lend money for construction unless the Energy Department resumed
offering contracts to the utilities for waste disposal.
---------------------

Reid vows to block nuclear waste bill

WASHINGTON - The Energy Department unveiled legislation Tuesday to
spur construction of a national nuclear waste dump in Nevada and
increase its capacity. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (news, bio,
voting record), D-Nev., immediately vowed to block the bill.

That could spell more problems for the troubled Yucca Mountain
nuclear waste dump, already years behind schedule. The Energy
Department official who heads the project warned that without new
funding that's part of the bill, a 2017 goal for opening the dump 90
miles northwest of Las Vegas could not be met.

"If we don't have that we are certainly not going to be able to
maintain the 2017 date," said Edward F. "Ward" Sproat, director of
the Energy Department's Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste
Management.

Sproat also said that if the Yucca Mountain's capacity isn't
increased from the current limit of 77,000 tons, as the bill
proposes, he would have to recommend to Congress next year that a
second nuclear waste dump be built.

That would be a hard sell, as few states would want to host a nuclear
waste dump. Sproat indicated that the prospect of a second nuclear
waste dump could help convince Congress of the need to move forward
with Yucca Mountain and approve the department's legislation.

"It's part of what I would call the congressional education process,"
Sproat told reporters at a briefing organized by The Energy Daily.

The new bill is similar to legislation the Energy Department offered
last year that didn't advance. The political environment is even
tougher for the measure this year now that Reid, an ardent Yucca
Mountain opponent, is in charge of the Senate.

"This is just the department's latest attempt to breathe life into
this dying beast and it will fail," Reid said. "I will continue to
leverage my leadership position to prevent the dump from ever being
built."

The bill doesn't specify how much more than 77,000 tons of nuclear
waste should be allowed in Yucca Mountain, though federal
environmental impact studies have estimated the dump could safely
hold at least 132,000 tons.

There's already more than 50,000 tons of nuclear waste piling up at
nuclear power plants in 31 states with nowhere to go, something
that's threatening taxpayers with mounting liability costs since the
federal government was contractually obligated to begin storing
nuclear utilities' waste starting in 1998.

Reid's solution is to leave the nuclear waste at the sites where it
already is, put it in dry cask storage units and allow the Energy
Department to take ownership of it onsite to eliminate the problem of
liability to utilities. He and Sen. John Ensign (news, bio, voting
record), R-Nev., introduced their own legislation Tuesday to make
those changes.

In recent years Reid has also succeeded in cutting        President
Bush's budget request for Yucca. The project's 2007 budget, at $405
million, is nearly $150 million less than the administration wanted,
which Sproat said is forcing project managers to put various
initiatives on hold, including work on a rail line to transport the
waste.

The Energy Department's bill would ensure that annual revenues in a
special nuclear waste fund paid for by utilities would be dedicated
to Yucca Mountain outside the overall federal budgeting process, so
that Yucca wouldn't have to compete with other programs for funding.
This would guarantee Yucca Mountain dedicated funding of at least
$750 million per year.
----------------

US pushes ahead on mountain nuclear dump

Washington looks set for a political battle after the US Department
of Energy presented plans to fast track a high-grade nuclear waste
dump in the mountains of Nevada, stressing the need for an urgent
resolution.

The rugged mountains of Nevada are being presented as the best site
for America's nuclear waste

Energy Secretary, Samuel Bodman, has asked congressmen to vote the
proposals through adding that there is no other plan on the table and
that there is a pressing need for the US to improve its ability to
manage and dispose of spent fuel from nuclear facilities and high-
level radioactive waste from nuclear weapons.

But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced he would do
everything in his power to block the bill when it reaches the upper
house.

"This legislative proposal reflects the Administration's strong
commitment to advancing the development of the Yucca Mountain
repository, while seeking to provide stability, clarity and
predictability in moving the project forward," Secretary Bodman said.

The Yucca Mountain repository is critical to the nation's current and
future energy and national security needs, and I look forward to
working with the Congress on developing a bill that can be passed by
Congress and signed by the President."

The proposed legislation would pave the way for a repository for the
waste deep underground 90 miles northwest of Las Vegas and would also
place permanent restrictions on land use in the surrounding area,
effectively sealing off public access to the mountain forever.

But Washington faces the same problems as other national governments
keen to find suitable sites for burying nuclear waste - nobody wants
to play host to a facility which will blight the region for
perpetuity.

The case is made harder to sell as the proposed legislation scraps
the 70,000 tonne cap previously put forward for the site, 'in order
to allow maximum use of the mountain's true technical capacity'.

Those in favour of the dump argue that this would mean a single site
could cope with the entire nation's nuclear waste for the foreseeable
future.

"We have a legal and moral obligation to get Yucca Mountain opened
and operating," said Ward Sproat, director of the Office of Civilian
Radioactive Waste Management.

"Currently 55,000 metric tons of commercial spent nuclear fuel and
defense high-level waste is being stored at more than 100 above-
ground sites in 39 states, and that number grows by about 2,000
metric tons annually.

"By entombing it deep in Yucca Mountain - a safe and secure permanent
geologic repository - we can ensure public safety for thousands of
generations."

Yucca Mountain was approved by the Congress and the President as the
site for the nation's first permanent spent nuclear fuel and high-
level radioactive waste geologic repository in 2002 but the project
has been plagued by delays and is already several years behind
schedule.

The chosen site is close to the Nevada Nuclear Testing Facility, open
in the early 1950s and used as recently as 1992.

It has the dubious claim to fame of having hosted the highest number
of nuclear weapon detonations in the USA
------------------

Accused caught at nuclear site

AT least two of the nine men accused of plotting a terrorist attack
in Sydney were caught at the Lucas Heights nuclear plant, a court
heard yesterday.

In a document tendered to Penrith Local Court, police said Mazen
Touma was questioned by an officer from the Counter Terrorist Command
after he was seen riding a motorcycle at Lucas Heights on December
28, 2004.

Touma was allegedly there with co-accused Abdul Rakib Hasan and
another man named Mohammed.

Counter Terrorism Command Detective Sergeant Garry Low questioned
Touma on December 29 that year at his Bankstown home and was
allegedly told by Touma that Mohammed wanted to buy the 125cc trail
bike for his 12-year-old son and had asked to test-drive it.

"I met them at Wangee Rd mosque at 4.30pm where we prayed and then
they dropped their cars at my place and we went in my van to Lucas
Heights," Touma allegedly told police.

"When we got there we had problems so we didn't ride it for long,
only a couple of hours.

"As we were leaving the police drove past and I saw them start to
follow us before they pulled us over and searched my van."

Although Crown prosecutor Wendy Abraham QC did not specifically name
the target for the alleged terrorist act in court, Lucas Heights has
been listed as a possible target.

During day three of the committal hearing for Touma, Hasan and their
co-accused Bradley Umar Sariff Baladjam, Khaled and Moustafa Cheikho,
Mohamed Ali Elomar, Mohammed Omar Jamal, Mirsad Mulahalilovic and
Khaled Sharrouf, police told of their surveillance of the group,
which involved listening devices, telephone intercepts and physical
surveillance from July 8, 2004, until their arrests on November 8,
2005
------------------

Barnwell site draws support

Barnwell County´s love affair with a nuclear waste dump spilled into
the Legislature during a hearing Tuesday on the future of a landfill
that contributes to the county´s economy.

Wearing "I support Barnwell" stickers and saying they need the more
than $1 million the landfill produces each year for the community,
county residents urged a panel of lawmakers not to close the dump to
the nation next year as scheduled.

But opponents of the 36-year-old landfill said a vote to keep the
site open should not be based on Barnwell County´s economic desires.

The low-level waste landfill has leaked, and other parts of South
Carolina are vulnerable to contamination that could wash down the
Savannah River, critics said. Communities in Beaufort County draw
drinking water from the river or plan to in the near future, and the
landfill needs to be closed, critics said.

Barnwell County is "addicted" to the modest revenues generated by the
landfill, and "we are paying the price," said former state Rep.
Harriet Keyserling, who drove from Beaufort County to speak at
Tuesday´s public hearing.

"We ... are concerned about the Savannah River."

Rep. Bill Herbkersman, R-Beaufort, said the state Legislature agreed
in 2000 to close the landfill to the nation and that the Legislature
shouldn´t pass a bill nullifying that law. This year´s bill, backed
by landfill operator Chem-Nuclear, would allow the dump to remain
open to the nation through 2023. It is the only commercial low-level
site in the U.S. to take the most potent types of atomic refuse from
any state. Current law restricts use of the landfill to South
Carolina, Connecticut and New Jersey after next year.

"We made a deal; let´s keep our end of the bargain," Herbkersman
said.

Columbia environmental lawyer Bob Guild, a Sierra Club official, told
the committee the landfill has leaked on two different occasions:
once in the mid-1970s and another time in the late 1990s, when a
spill of radioactive waste flowed onto a nearby church´s land.
Landfill operators say the spills have had little environmental
impact.

Tuesday´s hearing attracted more than 200 people and featured about
20 speakers. All told, more than 120 Barnwell landfill supporters
showed up for the four-hour hearing.

The session was so crowded legislators adjourned to a bigger room to
accommodate the crowd, which had spilled into the hallway of a
cramped meeting room.

A subcommittee of the House Agriculture, Natural Resources and
Environmental Affairs Committee, which held the hearing, is expected
to vote in about two weeks whether to send the bill to the full
committee.

Landfill supporters praised Chem-Nuclear´s safety record and
operation of the landfill, calling the company a good neighbor and a
vital economic partner. The landfill contributes $1 million to $2
million annually to the county.

"The economic future of Barnwell County and its 24,000 citizens who
live there is in your hands," said Barnwell County Council chairman
Keith Sloan, calling opponents of the measure "extreme"
environmentalists.

Sally Rogers, a lobbyist representing Chem-Nuclear, said the landfill
will operate at a $3.6 million deficit if it closes to the nation
next year as scheduled. She and a utility company representative said
that with only South Carolina, Connecticut and New Jersey using the
site, it could cause utility rates to rise to offset the losses.
----------------

UK Faces Energy Gap, Needs Quick Nuclear Decision

LONDON -(Dow Jones)- The U.K. government needs to make a quick
decision over a new generation of nuclear power plants or face a
growing power generation gap and severe security of supply issues,
according to a report from the U.K. Major Energy Users Council, or
MEUC, released Wednesday.

"If nuclear capacity cannot be built here perhaps we should build
another plant in another European country with a trade link to access
capacity," the report said.

The MEUC, which represents major industrial, commercial, retail and
public sector users of energy in the U.K., said the new generation of
nuclear plants should be privately funded and backed up with long-
term contracts with large power consumers.

In July 2006, the U.K. government published its energy review,
following a 12- week consultation, which confirmed its support for
nuclear power.

Environmental group Greenpeace last month won a legal challenge
against this decision, which the judge said had been reached without
the "fullest public consultation". Their victory could delay the
construction of any potential new nuclear reactors in the country.

MEUC also said U.K. gas prices weren't responding adequately to
fundamentals of supply and demand due to a lack of liquidity and
price transparency and called for further unbundling of utilities
that have both supply and production businesses. The level of gas
storage in the U.K. is also a concern, it added.

The European carbon dioxide emissions trading system is an effective
mechanism, the group said: "but Europe must hold back from higher
taxes or tighter emissions standards until China and the U.S. follow
suit by cutting their emissions."
------------------

Australians will accept nuclear power: Switkowski

The head of the Prime Minister's nuclear task force, Dr Ziggy
Switkowski, has predicted that Australians will accept uranium
enrichment and nuclear power generation as part of action to curb
greenhouse emissions.

He has told a Sydney business lunch that he believes the Labor Party
will take the first step by lifting policy bans on expanding uranium
mining and exports.

"When the ALP have their national convention in April this year, the
leadership have foreshadowed for some time that they will be
revisiting the ALP objections to this with a view to reversing their
position on this," he said.

"It may well be that this is the first aspect of the nuclear fuel
cycle which sees bipartisan support for lifting restrictions on
uranium mining in Australia."
-----------------

Czechs, Slovaks urge EU to debate nuclear energy

BRUSSELS - The Czech Republic and Slovakia will use the European
Union´s summit this week to try to revive a debate on the merits of
nuclear energy, diplomats said on Wednesday.

The two EU newcomers believe countries that shun atom energy should
reconsider their stance, as investing in nuclear power plants would
help the bloc to achieve its goal of cutting carbon dioxide emissions
to fight global warming.

`The atmosphere around nuclear energy is changing. It´s the right
time to start a debate on its merits,´ said Jan Kohout, the Czech
ambassador to the EU.

A Slovak diplomat said: `We should start to discuss nuclear energy
more openly. It is time to get rid of this taboo.´

The diplomat, who asked not to be named, said the EU should set up a
`Nuclear Energy Forum´, or a small body facilitating the exchange of
information and joint actions. He suggested the Slovak capital of
Bratislava host the organisation.

France, which produces the majority of its electricity from nuclear
power plants, tacitly supports giving atomic power more prominence in
the bloc´s long-term energy plans, another EU diplomat said.

Many EU members, led by Austria, oppose nuclear power as dangerous,
expensive and leaving harmful waste, with memories still fresh of a
nuclear reactor accident in Chernobyl, Ukraine in 1986.

The executive European Commission did not take sides on the issue in
its proposal for the EU´s long-term energy programme due to be
discussed at the summit on Thursday and Friday.

But analysts say nuclear energy is making a slow comeback in Europe
as a result of high oil prices, safer technologies, fears of
dependence on Russian oil and gas, and because it produces no
`greenhouse gases´ blamed for climate change.

Finland has become the first of the `old´ EU members in a decade to
decide on building a nuclear power plant and German Chancellor Angela
Merkel has called for extending the life of the country´s nuclear
plants despite a deal to phase them out.

Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Poland have recently launched talks on
building a large nuclear facility by 2015, partly to become less
dependent on Russian energy.

Both Czech and Slovak diplomats said their countries would oppose
setting a binding target for the EU to produce 20 percent of its
energy from renewable sources.

They said that unlike many EU member states their countries have
little sun for solar energy, limited prospects for hydro-power and no
sea coast, so winds tend to be weak.
------------------

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at cox.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/