[ RadSafe ] Announcement: NRC ISSUES ANNUAL ASSESSMENTS FOR NATION’S NUCLEAR PLANTS

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 15:20:24 CST 2007

>From NRC News release No. 07-030 of March 6, 2007

NRC ISSUES ANNUAL ASSESSMENTS FOR NATION’S NUCLEAR
PLANTS

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has issued annual
assessment letters to the nation’s 103
operating commercial nuclear power plants. All the
plants continue to operate safely.

“NRC’s assessments of nuclear power plant performance
are central to the agency’s mission of
protecting people and the environment,” said Elmo E.
Collins, director of the Division of Inspection
and Regional Support in the NRC’s Office of Nuclear
Reactor Regulation. “These annual assessments
report the results of NRC’s reviews and give the
public an overview of how each plant has performed.”

Later this spring, the NRC will meet publicly with the
operators of every plant in nearby
locations to discuss plant performance. A separate
announcement will be issued for each plant
meeting. In addition to the annual assessment letters,
plants also receive an NRC inspection plan for
the coming year. Updated information on plant
performance is posted to the NRC Web site every
quarter. The plants also receive a mid-cycle
assessment letter during the year; the next mid-cycle
letters will be issued in September.

The assessment letters sent to each licensee are
available on the NRC Web site at:
http://www.nrc.gov/NRR/OVERSIGHT/ASSESS/index.html and
through ADAMS, the Agencywide
Documents Access and Management System. Help in using
ADAMS is available from the NRC
Public Document Room by calling (301) 415-4737 or
(800) 397-4209.

###
News releases are available through a free list serve
subscription at the following Web address:
http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/listserver.html .
The NRC homepage at www.nrc.gov also offers a
SUBSCRIBE link. E-mail notifications are sent to
subscribers when news releases are posted to NRC's Web site.

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist