[ RadSafe ] The Great Global Warming Swindle

Kai Kaletsch eic at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 18 13:08:20 CDT 2007

I agree with what Otto said and I'm not particularly alarmed about global warming. Living in Canada, its a bit of a stretch to try to convince me that shorter, warmer winters are a bad thing.

However, given that we all agree that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, I think it is a fair question to ask: How much would the temperature increase if we keep increasing our CO2 output at the current rate (assuming no change in solar activity etc)? Unfortunately, the global warming skeptics have not provided a quantitative answer. If the answer depends on inputs that we don't know, then give me a range of possibilities (and, if possible, probabilities).

I don't like questions like: How much of our 0.2C temperature increase since 1940 is due to industrial CO2 releases?

To some people, this implies that all individual contributing factors have to be less than 0.2C. Of course, this does not follow logically. You could have a 2.2C warming due to CO2, offset by a 0.2C cooling because of reduced solar activity (please correct me if I'm wrong, but, if I remember the graph correctly, the current level of solar activity is still less than the 1940 peak, while the current temperatures are higher) and a 1.8C cooling due to emissions that block sunlight. (For most of the time since the industrial revolution, we have emitted fairly little CO2 and lots of other pollution, like SO2 and particulate. In the west, we have only recently started to reduce these. Other places in the world are still emitting a lot of that stuff.)

Regards,
Kai