[ RadSafe ] The Great Global Warming Swindle

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Mon Mar 19 09:19:58 CDT 2007

Steven Dapra wrote:
> March 18
>
>         What's to keep the water from that melted ice from running
> back into the opening left by the ice that has melted?  How much of
> the polar ice cap is above water?  Since water expands when it
> freezes, the volume of liquid water will be smaller than the volume of
> frozen water (won't it?), and some of that ice cap will run into the
> excess volume left after the ice melts -- won't it?
>
>         Am I missing something here with cities allegedly being under
> water?
>
> Steven Dapra
> sjd at swcp.com
>

> At 11:34 AM 3/18/07 -0700, John R Johnson wrote:
>> Kai
>>
>> I live in Canada also, and am concerned about global warming and the
>> melting of the polar "ice caps". Our house is over 100 m above sea
>> level but houses below us in Vancouver and in other cities on the
>> three coasts are concerned because they will be under water.
>>
>> John
>> ***************
>> John R Johnson, PhD
>> CEO, IDIAS, Inc.
>> Vancouver, B. C.
>> Canada
>> (604) 222-9840
>> idias at interchange.ubc.ca
snip

Stephen, the thing is that water contracts as it cools until just above
freezing, then begins to expand again.  So, the net result is that when
the ice warms, then melts it is contracting, then when it begins to warm
as water it expands.

Interestingly, there is a current report of a huge eddy in the ocean off
Australia that is so big, so deep, and so cold that it causes a one
meter depression in the surface of the ocean.  Of course this can only
occur in deep water, not near the coastline.  But, think about it, if
the entire oceans warm even a little, the water expands and the oceans
get deeper.  Hint, sell your beach property now! The average depth of
the oceans is 3720 meters.  The density of pure water at 60 deg C is
0.985.  Using this number it appears that a one degree C rise in the
overall ocean temperature would be about 1 meter increase in sea level,
approximately.  Of course it takes a lot longer for the ocean to warm
than it does for the atmosphere.  But you get the picture.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee