[ RadSafe ] LAT Article: Florida pawnshop'sradioactivesurprise("Yellow cake")

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Thu Mar 22 12:11:09 CDT 2007

John, note that I referred to an experiment in which the low-dose
deficiency without K-40 was compensated for with either providing K-40,
natural potassium, OR external radiation (I understood that it was
thorium sand).  It's not the K-40 itself, but K-40 provides a baseline
of 0.25-0.40 mSv of 24/365 1/4 radiation, plus cosmic of course, and
generally U/Rn and decay products, to provide a minimal level to
maintain health (although we do know that people in the lowest-dose
natural background areas are less healthy than people in average or
natural high-dose areas).

That is, K-40 depletion itself isn't detrimental as long as there is
sufficient radiation from other sources!

Regards, Jim