[ RadSafe ] Book review: Plutonium: A History of the World's MostDangerous Element

Sam Iverstine sam_iverstine at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 10:17:10 CDT 2007

Too bad the author didn't have some expert help before publishing.

  The Germans were in fact much closer to producing plutonium in 1941 than were we according to a book I just read "The German Atomic Bomb." In fact, it was partially because they pursued the plutonium path to the bomb that caused them to lag behind in the end. And mostly due to reduced industrial capacity and a miscalculation of graphite's absoption cross section.

  Sam Iverstine, M.S., CHP

John R Johnson <idias at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:
  John

Thanks for posting this review.

A title with the words "World's Most Dangerous Element" always makes me ask
the question, on what basis? If we look at the dose per unit activity
intake, the ICRP/NCRP number have Th-Nat (which is everywhere!) is a little
more dangerous than Pu-239, which make thorium the "most dangerous element".

John
John R Johnson, PhD
CEO, IDIAS, Inc.
Vancouver, B. C.