[ RadSafe ] Re: Risks and Realities: The "New Nuclear Energy Revival"

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Sat May 5 13:45:24 CDT 2007

Ted Rockwell points out in his book, Creating the New World,
  Stories and Images from the Dawn of the Atomic Age, foreword by Glenn Seaborg,
   that half of the cost of nuclear power plants actually goes to lawyers and bankers,
  through obstructive regulation lobbied by antinucs.
  Fig 8.3 Growth in cost of nuclear power plants and growth in number of regulatory documents.
  Fig 8.4 Growth in required nuclear plant documentation

  So, "-the bottom line of the financial balance sheet." (below) requires only deregulation (as with the cost of health care). In both, the burdensome regulation does not help public safety, but only perpetuates parasitic salaries.

  Point this out on electricity bills!

  Howard Long

Dan W McCarn <hotgreenchile at gmail.com> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Hi - There is a new article in Arms Control Today (May 2007) about issues and problems with the development of nuclear power.  Only the first three paragraphs are cited below.  As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the issues related to CO2 emissions are not just the possibility of climate change or the politics but the reality that the economics of CO2 are pushing the major energy companies to seriously consider the bottom line on the financial balance sheet.  The majors are turning to methods of minimizing CO2 emissions whether through sequestration, improved energy efficiency, or alternate energy.  Since I work for one of the “majors”, I know that the orders have gone down to seriously consider development impact with regards CO2 in every sector of the business.

  So Jerry, it’s not just hysteria.  This is business and the focus is on the bottom line of the financial balance sheet!

  Dan W McCarn, Geologist
  Albuquerque & Houston

  http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2007_05/squassoni.asp

  The headquarters of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) sits in the suburbs of Vienna, in the northeast corner of a country that has outlawed nuclear power plants since 1978. The irony of this situation masks deeper divisions in the nuclear energy debate, which recent assertions of a nuclear renaissance have papered over.

  Concern about greenhouse gas emissions and energy security combined with forecasts of strong growth in electricity demand has awakened dormant interest in nuclear energy. Yet, the industry has not yet fully addressed the issues that have kept global nuclear energy capacity roughly the same for the last two decades. Although nuclear safety has improved significantly, nuclear energy’s inherent vulnerabilities regarding waste disposal, economic competitiveness, and proliferation remain. Moreover, nuclear security concerns have increased since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

  Nuclear energy’s revival depends strongly on public sector support and financial backing. Even if it were true that nuclear energy emits no carbon dioxide, that it is renewable, and that it will provide energy independence—all selling points made by President George W. Bush—the fact would remain that nuclear energy is more expensive than alternative sources of electricity.