[ RadSafe ] Risks and Realities: The "New Nuclear Energy Revival"

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sat May 5 11:08:05 CDT 2007

Hi - There is a new article in Arms Control Today (May 2007) about issues
and problems with the development of nuclear power.  Only the first three
paragraphs are cited below.  As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the
issues related to CO2 emissions are not just the possibility of climate
change or the politics but the reality that the economics of CO2 are pushing
the major energy companies to seriously consider the bottom line on the
financial balance sheet.  The majors are turning to methods of minimizing
CO2 emissions whether through sequestration, improved energy efficiency, or
alternate energy.  Since I work for one of the “majors”, I know that the
orders have gone down to seriously consider development impact with regards
CO2 in every sector of the business.

So Jerry, it’s not just hysteria.  This is business and the focus is on the
bottom line of the financial balance sheet!

Dan W McCarn, Geologist

Albuquerque & Houston

 <http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2007_05/squassoni.asp>
http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2007_05/squassoni.asp

The headquarters of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) sits in
the suburbs of Vienna, in the northeast corner of a country that has
outlawed nuclear power plants since 1978. The irony of this situation masks
deeper divisions in the nuclear energy debate, which recent assertions of a
nuclear renaissance have papered over.

Concern about greenhouse gas emissions and energy security combined with
forecasts of strong growth in electricity demand has awakened dormant
interest in nuclear energy. Yet, the industry has not yet fully addressed
the issues that have kept global nuclear energy capacity roughly the same
for the last two decades. Although nuclear safety has improved
significantly, nuclear energy’s inherent vulnerabilities regarding waste
disposal, economic competitiveness, and proliferation remain. Moreover,
nuclear security concerns have increased since the September 11, 2001
terrorist attacks.

Nuclear energy’s revival depends strongly on public sector support and
financial backing. Even if it were true that nuclear energy emits no carbon
dioxide, that it is renewable, and that it will provide energy
independence—all selling points made by President George W. Bush—the fact
would remain that nuclear energy is more expensive than alternative sources
of electricity.