[ RadSafe ] Radioactive Material, Commerce, and DOT Regulations

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Mon May 14 12:46:45 CDT 2007

It would be understandable if they had stated " ..... compared to the
regulatory limit for public exposure of 2.5 microsieverts/hr" as this is
the public exposure limit in EU regs....

But unfortunately, many organizations will take regulatory limits and try
and "go one better"........

Doug

At 11:53 AM 5/14/2007, Brennan, Mike  (DOH) wrote:
> >From the article: "Readings had shown some of the exhibits had a
>radiation level of 60 microsieverts - compared to the museum's benchmark
>figure of one."
>
>1 mSv - 0.1 mrem - per unspecified time unit (but in context it looks
>like it might be a year).  What an absurd standard.  If I had a meter on
>which the needle wasn't swinging 0.1 mrem/hr I would check to make sure
>it was on.
>
> >From the quotes it appears as if the reporter, or judge, or likely both,
>didn't understand the difference between activity and dose.
>
>Sigh.

Doug Aitken                     Office Phone Use Cell phone!
QHSE Advisor                    Home Phone 713 797-0919
D&M Operations Support  Cell Phone    713 562-8585
Schlumberger Technology Corporation