AW: [ RadSafe ] Museum Specimens

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon May 14 16:10:14 CDT 2007

Robert and RADSAFErs,

About five years ago I prepared a draft for an Austrian ordinance on NORM.
(The id..t who happened to be my supervisor in the relevant ministry
regarded it as unimportant and ignored it. In the meantime an even worse
id..t has replaced him, but I am in the meantime retired.) In this ordinance
I made provisions about both specimens related to art, culture and history
of science (e.g. uranium glasses) and minerals and their exhibition. This
might have been self-serving, because I have a few (dozen) uranium minerals
at home, some collected during my visit to the US Southwest, and many dozens
of uranium glasses and uranium glazed items (Fiesta Ware) up to a few
historic items like radon-water providers, from the Biedermeier Time to pre
WWII times. But it is not only self-serving, because I cannot imagine
anything worse than destroying all those items not only valuable as per
price but also as historic and artistic items. Anybody ever considered this?

Unfortunately I do not have access any more to Health Physics. In case you
could send me literature on this topic I would be glad.

Your comment on the pre-9/11 world provokes my comment: What has really
changed as to museums? I flew to Brussels a few days later - we missed at
the conference the US participants. About a month later I flew with my son
to Honolulu to a conference and spent almost two more weeks in the area.
Radiation people always arguing with probabilities should have a sound
relation as to other probabilities.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD