AW: [ RadSafe ] France??? Boost for N-test veterans' case

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu May 17 07:27:11 CDT 2007

Dear Andrew, (dear RADSAFErs),

It is nice to read again a well founded comment from you on RADSAFE, from
which I draw the conclusion that you are still active in this field!

Reading about the claims of the nuclear test veterans I have a question. We
have heard and read also on RADSAFE about the claims of US and GB NT
veterans quite a lot, but I never read anything anywhere about similar
claims regarding the French nuclear tests.

Having been involved in the IAEA Mururoa project I know of course, that the
French atmospheric tests in Algeria and in French Polynesia were not
directed toward maximum destruction, so the yields were low compared to the
Sovjet and US-American ones and anyway later on all the tests were carried
out underground. Anyway the tests in question with the US and UK NT veterans
cannot have exhibited more yield. I know of course about the claims of such
groups like the international concern Greenpeace in connection with the
French tests in French Polynesia, that the sea was heavily contaminated, the
inhabitants of the whole area down to South America were subject to
dangerous fallout - but not even they mention any French veterans affected.
Any information available?

Andrew, from time to time so called "Mururoa veterans" from the Mururoa
Working Groups meet by chance at conferences on other topics at the IAEA -
so it happened about a month ago. All are still alive and doing well....
When will you come to Vienna again?

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD