AW: [ RadSafe ] European Union (EU) Drinking Water Limit for Tritium

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue May 22 16:43:49 CDT 2007

Dear Leo,

Yes, I am a European collegue and even more important I have been working on
the radioactivity of drinking water for probably twenty years. On the other
hand I am a kind of "persona non grata" on RADSAFE, because my messages are
monitored and some times are distributed on the RADSAFE list up to two days
later. The recent attempt of a US company for recruiting RSO's for the US
Army for duty in Iraq was not at all delayed. So do not be surprised, that
you will receive my mail to you more or less immediately and - if at all - a
second time with a large delay via the RADSAFE list.

The EU drinking water directive has no "limits" for radioactive
contamination. The indicative dose given excludes - please be careful - not
only T, K-40 and radon, but also radon progeny!!!! I suppose you know, that
Po-210 and Pb-210 have very high dose conversion factors. There is a
recommendation for the member states to set MPC for Rn-222, Pb-210 and
Po-210. A few member states have followed this recommendation, the
Scandinavian ones had them already before in force. They are not uniform,
but differ from member state to member state. Considerations on setting
MPC's are done in a few EU Member States.

Now to the "Indicative Concentration" of Tritium. Here I have to disappoint
you -there is (in my opinion) no scientific background for the 100 Bq/L.
There was a severe quarrel between the European Parliament and the European
Commission, which lasted for years, concerning the indicative concentration
of tritium. Especially the green fraction of the European Parliament did not
really care about doses, but as is known very well from other issues, they
wanted to reduce the "numbers" to sell this as their success and achievement
for protecting the population. They produced numbers of 75 Bq/l, to be
reduced to 25 Bq/l within a few years. Needless to say, that in Europe you
cannot find nowadays any drinking water which would even come close to 25
Bq/l. In Austria all drinking water is below 2 Bq/l.

Having said this, I can only answer to your last question, that there is no
EU dose limit for drinking water. The concept of indicative dose is the
following: In case the indicative dose would be exceeded (very unlikely in
European drinking water supplies), then the competent authorities have to
decide, whether countermeasures are necessary and the situation of the water
supply (nitrate, arsenic, coli-bacteria etc. etc.) has to be taken into
consideration.

I hope I could express the situation in my bad English! Feel free to contact
me again in case of any further questions!

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.