[ RadSafe ] Question on the exemption of material as NORM in Mississippi.

Amy_Jones at URSCorp.com Amy_Jones at URSCorp.com
Wed May 30 14:29:06 CDT 2007

In doing NORM survey work we have encountered material that contains both
Radium 226 and Radium 228.   The Exemption section of the Mississippi
regulations on NORM (excerpted below) states material is exempt if it
contains less than 5 pCi/g of Ra-226 or Ra-228.    The question has come up
do we compare the isotopes individually to the 5 pCi/g concentration, or do
we sum the two concentrations and then compare it to the criteria.  We have
looked at this both ways and have yet to come to a satisfactory conclusion.
Has anyone else encountered this question?

   Thanks

 Title 15, Part III, Subpart 78 Chapter 01Regulations for Control of
Radiation in Mississippi,
1100 Licensing of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM )

1100.04 Exemptions.
1. Persons who receive, possess, use, process, transfer, transport, store,
distribute, and dispose of NORM are exempt from the requirements of
these regulations if:
a. The materials contain, or are contaminated at, concentrations less than
5 picocuries per gram of radium - 226 or radium - 228 above
background; or, concentrations less than 30 picocuries per gram (1.11
kBq/kg) of technologically enhanced radium-226 or radium-228,
averaged over any 100 square meters, provided the radon emanation
rate does not exceed 20 picocuries (740 mBq) per square meter per
second, or 150 picocuries per gram (5.55 kBq/kg) of any other
NORM radionuclide, provided that these concentrations are not
exceeded at any time; or

Amy Jones, RRPT
URS Corporation
756 East Winchester Street Suite 400
Salt Lake City UT  84107
801-904-4000 (main)
801-904-4023 (direct)
801-913-5199 (cell)
801-904-4100 (fax)

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this
 message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
 distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
 the e-mail and any attachments or copies.