[ RadSafe ] Ranger uranium company in Australia & cancer clusters among aborigines

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Sat Nov 24 02:47:27 CST 2007

Sorry, still nothing on cancers or a cancer cluster. Still looking ....
Cheers,
Maury&Dog
===========================

http://www.environment.gov.au/ssd/publications/ssr/185.html

Summary

    * Download the full report

Energy Resources of Australia (ERA), the operator of the Ranger uranium
mine in the Northern Territory, advised the Assistant Secretary of the
Office of the Supervising Scientist by telephone on 5 February 2004 that
an incident had occurred in which two small earth-moving vehicles,
called 'bobcats', had been returned in a mildly contaminated condition
to the workplace of the Community Development and Employment Project
(CDEP) in Jabiru. Written notification of the incident was provided by
e-mail on the following day. The telephone notification described the
contaminated material as being of 'low activity' and the incident was
initially treated as being of a relatively minor nature.

On 29 March 2004, the Supervising Scientist was informed by a staff
member of the Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation that the manager of the
CDEP was concerned about the incident and wished to meet with the
Supervising Scientist to discuss the issue. The Supervising Scientist
met with staff of CDEP on 30 March 2004 and, following discussion of the
CDEP concerns, agreed to investigate the incident and to provide a
report on completion of the investigation.

The investigation has revealed that there were at least three occasions
on which vehicles left the Ranger mine site without adequate radiation
clearance during 2003 and 2004. This report contains the results of the
Supervising Scientist's investigation of the circumstances under which
these vehicles left the Ranger mine and his assessment of the likely
impact on the health of members of the public who were exposed to
radioactive material contained on these vehicles.