[CORRECTION] Re: [ RadSafe ] Ranger uranium company in Australia & cancer clusters among aborig

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:40:40 CST 2007

Thank you all who responded this far.

I was notified two days ago that there is an upcoming TV-program on
this topic (For Swedish readers: Uppdrag Granskning, SVT1, 8 p.m.).

"Uppdrag granskning" is a program which has had biased reporting on a number
of controversial issues. A personal experience five years ago taught me that
at least some of their reporters essentially have an antiindustrial agenda which
they support by various standard methods (like making three hour interviews
with people and then cutting ut the 1-2 minutes (out of context of course)
that suits their political ambitions). The experience I was involved in
related to mobile phones - according to my opinion those journalists/reporters
are half criminals (we pay tax for their crap).

This time it is about uranium & cancer - Sweden buys some of its uranium
from Australia. Typically a TV program on a topic like this will do anything to
scare the heck out of people by presenting unfounded/biased claims.
Statistical hocus pocus is often involved without any explaination relating to
confounders, various types of bias etc. Emotional pictures belong to the
standard spices. I could bet a whole penny that most of the involved
reporters behind the upcoming program are of an antinuclear brand.

Sorry if I may seem somewhat sceptical - but this is what most often can
be expected. The other side of the coin is of course that there indeed may
be bad work conditions, environmental damage and so on - it is just that
certain news sources dramatize in ways where the context, proportions and
perspectives are are lost.

Therefore I want to know what this is all about - are any cancer clusters
more than normal statistical variations (what are the data etc?)?
Thanks again for the responses this far.

My personal initiatie only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com