[ RadSafe ] Ranger uranium company in Australia & cancer clusters among aborigines

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Mon Nov 26 04:33:37 CST 2007

As a comment, not based on scientific literature, but on what I heard
when I was there (only as a tourist, 1989 or 1990): there was a major
spill from a tailing pond into a river called South Alligator River (if
I remember correctly) in the mid-1980s (?), when a dam broke after a
tropical rain storm. Allegedly a large amount of Th230, Ra226 ff.
bearing sediments from the tailing pond were deposited along the river
and in the floodplains through which it goes. The river goes through the
area of an aboriginal community (of which I forgot the name), which, as
I was told, relies strongly on fish and water from that river.
This event caused a broad discussion about the safety of U mining in
Australia, and apparently subsequently resulted in substantial
improvements of  safety provisions. - My (only visual and therefore of
course superficial) impression, based on what I saw on a guided tour,
was that the safety conditions were much better than what I knew from
former East Germany (the Wismut area) and some places in former
Czechoslovakia (MAPE). (The information I had about these places came
from the oppositional movements which were active in these times, mid to
late 1980s, like the "Charta 77" movement in the CSSR and the Churches
and the "Environmental Library" in the GDR, and with whom I worked,
under not-so-official conditions, on some environmental projects.)

Peter Bossew

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."