AW: [ RadSafe ]J Environmental Radioactivity, Welcome to the New Mexico Legislature Web Site

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Nov 27 16:25:19 CST 2007

Roger,

I comment only on your question about the Journal of Environmental
Radioactivity.

About 15 years ago my institute subscribed to it due to my demand for it. I
have read it for almost ten years, since a few years I do not have access to
it any more.

I think that the quality of a journal depends on many factors, one being the
quality of the referees. I found both excellent and mediocre papers in it,
as you can do in any journal. In 1987 I was really shocked to read in Health
Physics (the "bible" of radiation protection) a paper about gross alpha and
beta radioactivity in aerosols in Madrid after the Chernobyl accident - we
had shortly after the accident nuclide specific data of aerosols,
precipitation, soil, milk, vegetation, food, water etc. etc. in Austria, as
those date were also available in practically all European countries,
including dose estimates. Spain was practically not affected by Chernobyl
fallout and to use in 1987 gross-measurements like in the stone-age of
radiation surveillance was a shame - but Health Physics published it!

All papers published at JER are no doubt scientific. What I never read on
JER was any anti-nuclear or green propaganda. I do not know the article(s)
you cited because of my non-existing access. Who are the authors - this
might give some hints. Without knowing the article I would be sure, that
also this one would not distribute the unfounded anti-DU propaganda.

There are more than enough reports about DU use and its impact on soldiers
for instance in the former Yugoslav Republic by national authorities and
even international organisations (IAEA).

If you find out more about the article I would appreciate to hear about it -
most of all I would of course like an electronic copy, which might be
difficult to obtain without charge.

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.
Habicherg. 31/7