[ RadSafe ]J Environmental Radioactivity, Welcome to the New Mexico Legislature Web Site

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:29:15 CST 2007

Hi Franz:

Prior to my departure from New Mexico to be in the Lone Star State, and work
for the big, bad oil companies, I worked as an expert witness on a couple of
litigations through the NRC on uranium licenses.  Most recently, the NRC
upheld the license for the uranium miner, HRI in 1999 and 2006. The
anti-nuclear opposition always lost because their science was so bad,
although they do have an ear with the now activist NMED (New Mexico
Environmental Department) and after the Democrats got to have their own
governor, close relations with the State Legislature.

Over the last couple of years, the State of New Mexico passed regulations
not only for drinking water, but also "groundwater" quality, but only
focused on "uranium".  So it is now illegal for uranium minerals to dissolve
into groundwater, although I'm not quite sure how that will be enforced.

This is an effort to prevent any uranium mining in the State, although even
the EPA recognizes the principle of "Aquifer Exemption" when that aquifer is
host to a uranium ore body.  This action took the groundwater standard from
5,000 micrograms/liter (µ/L) to 7 µ/L.  The interesting fact about this is
that for some regions of the state, the median GW values for uranium exceed
7 µg/L.

There is a paper describing the Aquifer Exemption concept in IAEA
TECDOC-1396:

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf

Licensing of in situ leach recovery operations for the Crownpoint and Church
Rock uranium deposits, New Mexico: A case study, M. Pelizza, D.W. McCarn,
pp.153-173.

I guess you might say that I know the 2nd author quite well...

But this latest bit of news is just more of the same hysteria, with the same
arguments that were used in the groundwater limits case. "The New Mexico
Environmental Law Center" is front and center with these issues, is
well-funded and very activist.  After failing to stop the NRC license from
going forward, they resorted to changing the GW limits.  Now they are
scaring veterans.

In the 1999 litigation, the opposition was fined $250,000 by the NRC for a
series of illegal actions including misrepresenting an IAEA published paper
- IAEA TECDOC 1258:

McCarn, D.W., (2001): The Crownpoint and Churchrock Uranium Deposits, San
Juan Basin, New Mexico: An ISL Mining Perspective, Technical Committee
Meeting on Uranium Resources, Production, and Demand, International Atomic
Energy Agency, June 10-13, 1997, IAEA TECDOC 1258, pp. 171-183, Dec. 2001.

They cut a figure out of the article, replaced the title and explanation,
and gave me credit for it...  The NRC hearing officer was not amused!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston