[ RadSafe ] CT scans and cancer

alstonchris at netscape.net alstonchris at netscape.net
Thu Nov 29 16:54:47 CST 2007

Steven

I can't answer that question.  But, if physicians are ordering these
scans simply to accommodate pushy parents, rather than by reason of
indication, it's a major failure of medical practice.  Something
similar has gone on, for decades now, in the use of antibiotics.  E.g.,
parents have a sick kid, the pediatrician says that it's a viral
infection and should be allowed to run its course (with appropriate
support, i.e., fluids, antipyretic meds, etc.), but the parents insist
that the kid be given antibiotics, which are generally useful only
against bacterial infections.  And the doctor prescribes them (he/she
is usually afraid of losing their business).  This is one reason for
the great increase in the number of antibiotic-resistant microbes with
which we have to deal; and that is a deadly serious affair.

Cheers
cja

[According to] Dr. Alan Brody, a radiologist at Cincinnati Children's
Hospital Medical Center, three out of 10 parents in one study insisted
on
CT scans instead of observing the child's condition for awhile even
after
they were told of the radiation risk.
What is with the 30 percent of pushy parents who want the scans
done anyway?
Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com