[ RadSafe ] Critique of the paper by Almond, Edlund and Palme

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Oct 22 20:46:10 CDT 2007

Oct. 22

         This link (below) is not to a booklet, it is to a very short
abstract of the Almond,Edlund,and Palme paper, which was published by the
National Bureau of Economic Research.

         At the top of the abstract page are links to the authors.  Douglas
Almond is an assistant professor in the Department of Economics & School of
International and Public Affairs at Columbia University (New York).  The
NBER site lists ten of his completed papers or working papers.  The only
one about exposure to radioactivity is this one on Swedish exposure to
Chernobyl fallout.

         Lena Edlund is an associate professor of economics, also at
Columbia.  According to Columbia's web site, her areas of research are
marriage, the family, and things that come under the general heading of
s-e-x.  One of two or three exceptions (other than the co-authored
Chernobyl paper) is a paper on the long-term effects of a famine in
Communist China between 1959 and 1961.  According to her Columbia C.V., her
husband is Douglas Almond.  (Does that name sound familiar?)  She teaches
in the disciplines of labor, and in gender and economics.  Her B. A. and
Ph. D. are from the Stockholm School of Economics.  (She is Swedish by
nationality.)

         Martin Palme has also co-authored a paper on Social Security in
Sweden.  The NBER web site said nothing about Palme's background.

         This is copied from the NBER's web site:

"Founded in 1920, the National Bureau of Economic Research is a private,
nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to promoting a
greater understanding of how the economy works. The NBER is committed to
undertaking and disseminating unbiased economic research among public
policymakers, business professionals, and the academic community.

"Over the years the Bureau's research agenda has encompassed a wide variety
of issues that confront our society. The Bureau's early research focused on
the aggregate economy, examining in detail the business cycle and long-term
economic growth. Simon Kuznets' pioneering work on national income
accounting, Wesley Mitchell's influential study of the business cycle, and
Milton Friedman's research on the demand for money and the determinants of
consumer spending were among the early studies done at the NBER."

         This appears to be a organization that is almost exclusively
concerned with economics.  I would guess that its work on epidemiology
should probably not be taken seriously, especially when two of the three
authors are economists.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com