AW: [ RadSafe ] Permanent radioactive implants for treatment of breastcancer

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 15:02:05 CDT 2007

Franz,

Both I-125 and Pd-103 implant seeds are about same
size.  See
http://www.cancer-radiation.com/about/prostatebrachy.htm

The reason that so many (70) have to be implanted is
that one wants to irradiate the tumor volume to the
same therapeutic dose.  In prostate therapy, I have
heard that up to 130 I-125 seeds have been implanted.
I would expect more if necessary.  See the x-ray at
the bottom of the link above.

Both I-125 and Pd-103 are encapsuled in non-reactive
titanium seeds, and are sterilized prior to
implantation.  You do not implant Pd into the body
directly, as it might dissolve and not stay in the
injected site.  As noted at
http://www.theraseed.com/library/clinical/study7.htm
there have not been any effects associated with seed
implants

--- Franz Schönhofer <franz.schoenhofer at chello.at>

http://www.oncolink.org/resources/article.cfm?c=3&s=8&ss=23&id=12719&month=0
> 1&year=2006

"If you guard your toothbrushes and diamonds with equal zeal, you'll probably lose fewer toothbrushes and more diamonds."
- Former national security advised McGeorge Bundy
-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com