[ RadSafe ] US B-52 'in nuclear cargo error'

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Wed Sep 5 09:43:27 CDT 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6980204.stm

Not sure if it is just funny (as I perceived it at the moment
of reading), but I thought it would be curious to some listmembers
anyway.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com

US B-52 'in nuclear cargo error'

   A B-52 bomber flew across the US last week mistakenly loaded
with up to six nuclear-armed missiles, unnamed air force officials
are quoted as saying.

   The missiles were unaccounted for during a three-hour flight
from a North Dakota air base to one in Louisiana.

  Air Force spokesman Lt Col Ed Thomas told Army Times the weapons
were "always in our custody".

   Army Times said the missiles were to be decommissioned but
were mistakenly mounted on the bomber's wings.

   The W80-1 warhead has a yield of five to 150 kilotons,
the paper said.