AW: [ RadSafe ] TLD Readings in Checked Luggage

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Thu Sep 6 15:12:06 CDT 2007

Hi Doug,

You pretty much said it all. What makes a dose attributable to the checked
baggage scan is when the individual typically does not receive measurable
exposure or not much more than minimum reportable from their routine
occupational work where very little exposure is received. If an individual
typically receives between 0.1 and 0.5 mSv each badging period, takes a trip
and the dosimeter when processed reads 1.5 mSv, one can hypothesize that the
exposure was due to the checked baggage scan. The higher the exposure that a
worker receives, and especially if there is fluctuation in the exposure
received from period to period, the actual quantity of exposure due to the
checked baggage scan, will be difficult to determine. Yes, one would be
aware of the fact that the X-Ray unit caused a dose, it just can't be
quantified whereby the total dose on the dosimeter can be parsed, and an
estimate used for the period where there was this non-occupational exposure.
In the NPP there is always a secondary dosimeter worn along with the TLD or
other dose of record dosimeter, and that can always be sued in lieu of the
primary dosimeter.

In conclusion, checked baggage X-Ray Scanners do put out a significant
exposure, each and every time a dosimeter goes through one of them. If the
individual never received dose or very little, one can subtract out the
estimated scanned dose. If one typically receives higher doses that is
variable, relying on the secondary dosimeter for the time occupational dose
is received, assigning that, would be the most prudent thing. Trying to
parse out a dose is nearly impossible, unless the dosimeter is only used for
the specific trip in question.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sandy

Sander C. Perle
President
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at cox.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/