AW: [ RadSafe ] TLD Readings in Checked Luggage

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Sep 6 11:20:36 CDT 2007

I'm not sure that this is totally correct, given the vast range of
inspection equipment being used around the world, including heavy dose
X-ray machines in some less up-to date places. In the US (I guess this is
the focus of Linda's query), we have seen some higher than normal doses on
TLD (L!7) and OSL (Al2O3) badges that have been attributed to airport
security scans. However, as these are quarterly badges of workers
performing source manipulations, it is a little difficult to attribute
actual doses to airport exposures. Perhaps Sandy can give some more
coherent information?

Regards
Doug

At 07:02 AM 9/6/2007, Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
>Linda:
>
>Unless you remove your TLD chips after passing the (hand-) luggage check
>and read them out before take-off of your plane, the dose received during
>the flight (several micro-Sv) may well dwarf the dose from the check
>(approx. 1 - 2 micro-Sv).
>
>Best regards, Rainer
>
>Dr. Rainer Facius
>German Aerospace Center
>Institute of Aerospace Medicine

Doug Aitken                     Cell Phone    713 562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation