[ RadSafe ] TLD Readings in Checked Luggage

MCCORMICK, LUKE I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Fri Sep 7 09:28:58 CDT 2007

It really depends on which airport you travel through as many have
different types of scanners from standard cabinet x-rays to CT systems.
The highest recorded dose I have seen is 211 mrem then a bunch around
140 mrem, and a few around 35 mrem. The carry-on baggage scanners are
usually only around 1 mrem at most.

Regards,

Luke McCormick, Health Physicist
US Customs & Border Protection