[ RadSafe ] Medium for gas geometry calibration

Olsson Mattias :MSO mso at forsmark.vattenfall.se
Tue Sep 11 02:05:51 CDT 2007

Hello,

I ended up calibrating the efficiency of a HPGe detector system the other month. It was done from a simple mixed gamma ampoule that was diluted in the old fashioned way. There were several geometries och which some were for gas samples (such as gas in a Marinelli beaker). Of course, a professionally made source with a foamed plastic medium or such could have been used, but did I? No. Budget etc. There was an old instruction that suggested that the medium that should be used to suspend the activity was a regular ion exchange resin. It seemed like a rather rough replacement for gas to me.

Does any radsafers have experience with home made gas geometries, and what did you use for a medium? (The use of an actual gas or Labsocs are not options in this case).

Take care!

Mattias Olsson

--
Mattias Olsson, FTKS