AW: [ RadSafe ] Medium for gas geometry calibration

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Sep 11 14:00:27 CDT 2007

Hej,

I wonder, what kind of gas you want to measure. Since you obviously work at
Forsmark I would have thought that gaseous activities from a nuclear power
plant would be mostly noble gases and iodine. Usually these gases are
adsorbed in a bypass on charcoal and then this charcoal is measured. The
uneven distribution of the radionuclides in the cartridge is another problem
concerning the geometry. I remember that there was a solution by measuring
two times, turning the cartridge upside down for the repeat and probably
some other tricks, including calculations, which I do not remember in
detail.

>From my frequent work to produce gamma-spectrometric standards I remember
that I used a resin, produced by mixing two liquid components together, one
previously mixed with the standard. Fortunately I was aware of the pH of the
standard solution and made inactive tests. They showed, that the resin would
never polymerize under these pH conditions. It was a terribly time consuming
work to find out suitable neutralization conditions and mixing ratios. After
all it was clear that production in this way was far more expensive than
ordering custom made ones from Analytics Inc. - which we did in the future.
I wonder, whether these resins would not be also representative for gases.
At the worst you would probably have to make small corrections for the
almost negligible absorption by the resin.

For our calibration standards with different materials of much different
matrices I used ion exchange resins. I adsorbed small amounts of the
standard on a not to small amount (maybe tens of grams) of ion exchange
beads and after drying those beads were mixed using a 3-dimensional tumbler
with a large amount of the matrix material (usually about a liter). This
worked well.

Finally a provocative question: What could the difference due to matrix
effects be between water and gas?

Hur star det till i Forsmark efter den stora skandalen?????

Med vaenlig haelsning

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.