AW: [ RadSafe ] Subsea detector required

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Sep 11 11:14:05 CDT 2007

Joe,

I cannot tell you a supplier, but I would recommend to contact the Marine
Environmental Laboratory (MEL) of the IAEA in Monaco, preferably Joan-Albert
Sanchez-Cabeza (please give him my regards). I know for sure, that the
laboratory was working with a submersible Ge(?)-detector and wanted to use
it also during the International Mururoa Project of the IAEA in 1996. I do
not know for sure, whether they actually were successful on Mururoa,
throughout the three weeks I was on Mururoa and Fangataufa with my
terrestrial working group, partially overlapping with the aquating working
group, I have not heard of it. What I have heard, was that there were
problems, because the sea floor within the atoll was of course not flat, but
full with small and big coral "towers" and other obstacles.

Joan Albert was then not yet working at MEL, but he sure knows who was and
probably is still involved in the project on ocean floor measurements.

Good luck!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.