[ RadSafe ] medical examinations

kali1 at zahav.net.il kali1 at zahav.net.il
Sat Sep 15 11:59:30 CDT 2007

I thank all who have responded as to annual medical examinations of X-ray technicians and other radiation workers. Herewith are several of the responses:

1)   "to my best knowledge,no such regulations exist in the U.S., at least at the federal level. May be some bizarre state regulations (after all, we have 50 states, and once in a while one of them will do something stupid) that require annual medical check-ups, but I do not personally know of any."

2)   "in our hospital, they give us a medical examination at the time of hiring, then test for TB annually (skin test). There is no annual medical exam." (from the U.S.).

3)   "When I was in the U.S. Navy, and I believe it is still done, radiation workers  ... were required to have a "radiation physical" every three years. I was to "monitor the health" of the workers and prevent law suits.
   I believe it was a waste of time"

4)   "Such exams have not been required in the U.S. for several decades"

5)   "In Canada there is no such requirement..."

6)   "In the Netherland, the radiation worker has been divided in two groups: those receiving a max. of 6 mSv/year and those potentially receiving 20 mSv.
The second group has to be medically controlled every year."