[ RadSafe ] " Homeland Security Chief Sees Nuclear ForensicOffice as Attack Deterrent "

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Wed Sep 19 09:15:06 CDT 2007

We've seen that exact problem in Washington (state). During the TOPOFF
II dirty bomb exercise in Seattle in 2003, fear, inadequate instruments
and a lack of understanding of radiation caused 115 "trauma" victims to
die because they didn't receive emergency medical care in a reasonable
time. For the most part, instruments have been taken care of, but the
first responders, particularly fire and rescue and law enforcement,
don't know how to use them and/or don't know what the data means.

We put together a radiological outreach program to start offering
training in basic radiation, instrument use, protective actions,
handling contaminated patients, etc. to supplement the excellent
training offered by REAC/TS and other places. The problem is that these
agencies can't always afford to lose their staff for a week at a time to
go out of state, so we can do something during a single shift (at no
cost to them, except their time), or bring tem to a central location in
state for training. Whenever we can, we use real radioactive materials
so they get real practice finding and identifying isotopes (multiple
sealed sources plus, when we can, Tc-99m for contamination control
practice).

It's very popular training, and we've trained about 4500 in the last
four years. Unfortunately, that only represents about 5% of those who
need it.

Allen W. Conklin
Senior Health Physicist and
Lead trainer
Radiological Emergency Preparedness Section
Office of Radiation Protection
Department of Health
Olympia WA. 98504-7827
(360) 236-3261