[ RadSafe ] WFU professor designs atomic emission detector forDepartment of Homeland Security

Tue Sep 25 15:03:46 CDT 2007

Hi, John.

I am not saying that the work is not important, or not worthy of doing,
or will not produce something useful.  What I AM saying is the device
Prof. Jones is working on is not what is called for, at least as
described in the article.

"The three-year project is funded by the National Science Foundation in
conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security, which asked
scientists to submit proposals for RADIOACTIVITY DETECTION DEVICES." (my
emphasis)

Prof. Jones' device is not a radioactivity detection device.  From the
linked article:

"Jones' "Tungsten Coil Atomic Emission Spectrometer" is constructed
using the metal coil filament from a standard slide projector bulb
powered by a 12-volt battery, such as the type used to start boats or
automobiles.  Environmental samples of suspect particles are dissolved
in liquid, and droplets are placed on the coil.  The samples are dried
at low voltage and the residue vaporized at 3,000 degrees, producing a
flash of light.  Each metal displays a unique color signature, which is
captured by a fiber optic sensor connected to a laptop computer.  Test
results are then charted on a graph showing each sample's wavelength and
intensity, allowing scientists to identify specific elements and amounts
of radioactivity."

This is, it appears, a variation on the flame spectrograph technology
that has been used for some time.  I admit to skepticism as to whether
such a system could detect the difference between, for example,
cobalt-60, a reasonable candidate for use in a dirty bomb, and
cobalt-59, which is stable.  If the system is indeed capable of
distinguishing between isotopes of the same element based on the light
they emit when vaporized I am both impressed and excited.  This could be
of tremendous value in a number of areas.

Be all that as it may, however, the opening paragraph of the article
states:
"Brad Jones, a professor of chemistry at Wake Forest University, is
leading a team of researchers at four institutions to develop the first
handheld, field instrument capable of detecting and identifying
radioactive particles at the site of potential contamination. The device
will enable authorities to quickly test dust, soil, water and crops in
the event of a terrorist attack such as a "dirty" bomb."
If this paragraph is correctly written (and I readily acknowledge that
reporters sometimes get technical details wrong), then I see at least
three problems.  The first is that there are already handheld field
instruments capable of detecting and/or identifying radioactive
materials.  The second is that Prof. Jones' device does not seem to have
that capability.  The third is that with its 12 volt battery, fragile
filament and wet chemistry Prof. Jones' device does not seem to be
either hand held or quick.
It may be useful, but it isn't what appears be called for, and it
doesn't appear to be able to do the job better than what is available.