[ RadSafe ] Radioactive coffee? .....NORM ?

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Sat Sep 29 16:58:32 CDT 2007

I went to the local coffee emporium today armed with a Neutron RAE pocket
Gamma/Neutron scintillator.
Scanned bins of coffee beans from Columbia, Costa Rica, Africa and some juts
marked "Latin America".

None of the bins of beans raised the counter above nominal background, which
was 4 uR/H at that location.
None of the ground coffee from anywhere did either.Nil.

Usually I would have backed up these tests with a pancake probe to look for
alpha and beta particles, but all the samples were shielded.

The pocket scintillator has proved exceptionally effective at detecting
small quantities of NORM for me in the past.

Earlier in this day at a fossil show, it detected any number of fossils that
had NORM in them. A number of
paleontologists are using Gamma detectors to prospect for fossils now. More
on this another time.

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonics Lab