[ RadSafe ] Intrinsically safe neutron survey meter?

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Wed Apr 2 17:53:21 CDT 2008

Ward et al:
I actually discussed the Prescila + 2363 with Ludlum last week and sent out
a circular to the company, recommending that all future Neutron survey
meters purchased should be this type (rather than the 12-4 rem-ball we have
used until now. This is a great new meter, with its capability of both Gamma
and Neutron survey and data logging: ideal for doing surveys of our
facilities where both Cs 137 and AmBe sources are stored.
However, when I talked to Ludlum this morning about an Is version, the sales
person did not know and said it might be about 1 year before they could
produce such a meter. But this afternoon I got a call back from the
development engineer, who told me they had actually tested the Priscila with
the 3-IS and it worked fine. However, as they did not know if there was a
market for this combo, they did not go to the expense of certifying it. But,
technically, it is not a problem - they just have to have a locking
connector so the probe cannot be separated when in the hazardous atmosphere
and make up a stainless-steel clip to hold the probe to the body (the
delrin-covered clip has the potential to create static electricity.

Now that there is some interest, they will go agead and throw together a
prototype and probably certify it.

Problem solved!

Thanks for the many E-mails! And ONCE AGAIN, Ludlum proves why it is so
successful: hooray for the little guys!

Doug
Doug Aitken     Cell phone: 713-562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation
300 Schlumberger Drive
Sugar Land TX 77030

Home office: 713-797-0919  Home Fax: 713-797-1757