[ RadSafe ] Two nuclear bills killed in CA - AGAIN

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Wed Apr 9 02:24:06 CDT 2008

They are proud of their "accomplishment".

On Behalf Of MoJo
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:41 AM
To: HopeDance; HD-Global
Subject: [NukeNet] Two nuclear bills killed in CA - AGAIN

For Immediate Release

Contact: Rochelle Becker (858) 337-2703
David Weisman (805) 704-1810

The Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility leads successful
effort to retain California's nuclear safeguard laws.

On April 7, 2008, Rochelle Becker, the executive director of the Alliance
testified before California's Assembly Natural Resource Committee in
opposition to two bills that would have allowed new reactors to be sited in
our state without the certification of the existence of an approved and
demonstrated technology or means of disposal of high-level radioactive waste

"AB 1776 was a smokescreen that would have substituted California's
protective legislation passed over three decades ago for a law that assumed
the state might allow construction of nuclear reactors in seismically active
areas or in areas where once-through- cooling is acceptable." Ms. Becker
testified.

Simply put, a permanent means for safe disposal of high-level radioactive
waste does not exist. Nuclear utilities are now storing high-level
radioactive waste onsite in seismically active areas, even though the
Nuclear Regulatory Commission's own policy discourages such sites.
Earthquake science is constantly evolving. As recently as April 1, 2008, a
15-kilometer earthquake fault previous thought by the government of Japan
and it's Atomic Energy Agency to be inactive was reclassified as active. In
a state as seismically active as California a similar revelation could prove
to be both costly and devastating to the state's residents.

AB 2788 would have eliminated exclusive state power to certify all energy
generation sites in California. It would have removed one of the very few
rights of our state to address the costs, benefits and risks of nuclear
reactors. Instead, it would allow the first entity to obtain an early site
permit from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission without California Energy
Commission or California Public Utility Commission approval. For over three
decades, those who have addressed the dangers of nuclear power generation
have heard elected representatives respond that they full agree with our
concerns, but are pre-empted from addressing these issues. "To give up even
one protective right to question the safety, security, seismicity and safe
radioactive emissions from nuclear reactors is a disservice to state
residents and an unconscionable decision for California's future
generations" stated Becker.

The Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility strongly supports union jobs and
clean energy, but California cannot afford to again go down a nuclear path
without analyzing all economic consequences of our actions. At best this
bill is premature until the analysis of the full costs, benefits and risks
of continued reliance on nuclear reactors--as mandated by California's
legislature- -is complete, adopted and implements. AB 1776 would have
resulted in reduced funding for our state's precedent-setting clean energy
policy. Responsible energy policies are fundamental to a strong economy, and
the "unknowns" surrounding this bill placed our economy and our energy
supplies at risk.

In Peace

Rochelle Becker, Executive Director
Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility