[ RadSafe ] Two nuclear bills killed in CA - AGAIN

Thu Apr 10 16:12:08 CDT 2008

Someone should point out to them that California, indeed the United
States, choosing not to build new nuclear reactors will have almost no
effect on the number of reactors that get built, as a number of
countries over which we have no influence are going to build their own.
What it will do is insure that California, and any other states that
follow there example, will pay the higher economic and environmental
costs of buying energy produced elsewhere, or produced by
"environmentally friendly" methods that often turn out to not be so.

The line, "Simply put, a permanent means for safe disposal of high-level
radioactive waste does not exist." is, to put it simply, false.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Roger Helbig
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:24 AM
To: Radsafe
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Two nuclear bills killed in CA - AGAIN

They are proud of their "accomplishment".

On Behalf Of MoJo
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:41 AM
To: HopeDance; HD-Global
Subject: [NukeNet] Two nuclear bills killed in CA - AGAIN

For Immediate Release

Contact: Rochelle Becker (858) 337-2703
David Weisman (805) 704-1810

The Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility leads successful effort to
retain California's nuclear safeguard laws.

On April 7, 2008, Rochelle Becker, the executive director of the
Alliance testified before California's Assembly Natural Resource
Committee in opposition to two bills that would have allowed new
reactors to be sited in our state without the certification of the
existence of an approved and demonstrated technology or means of
disposal of high-level radioactive waste

"AB 1776 was a smokescreen that would have substituted California's
protective legislation passed over three decades ago for a law that
assumed the state might allow construction of nuclear reactors in
seismically active areas or in areas where once-through- cooling is
acceptable." Ms. Becker testified.

Simply put, a permanent means for safe disposal of high-level
radioactive waste does not exist. Nuclear utilities are now storing
high-level radioactive waste onsite in seismically active areas, even
though the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's own policy discourages such
sites.
Earthquake science is constantly evolving. As recently as April 1, 2008,
a 15-kilometer earthquake fault previous thought by the government of
Japan and it's Atomic Energy Agency to be inactive was reclassified as
active. In a state as seismically active as California a similar
revelation could prove to be both costly and devastating to the state's
residents.

AB 2788 would have eliminated exclusive state power to certify all
energy generation sites in California. It would have removed one of the
very few rights of our state to address the costs, benefits and risks of
nuclear reactors. Instead, it would allow the first entity to obtain an
early site permit from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission without
California Energy Commission or California Public Utility Commission
approval. For over three decades, those who have addressed the dangers
of nuclear power generation have heard elected representatives respond
that they full agree with our concerns, but are pre-empted from
addressing these issues. "To give up even one protective right to
question the safety, security, seismicity and safe radioactive emissions
from nuclear reactors is a disservice to state residents and an
unconscionable decision for California's future generations" stated
Becker.

The Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility strongly supports union jobs and
clean energy, but California cannot afford to again go down a nuclear
path without analyzing all economic consequences of our actions. At best
this bill is premature until the analysis of the full costs, benefits
and risks of continued reliance on nuclear reactors--as mandated by
California's
legislature- -is complete, adopted and implements. AB 1776 would have
resulted in reduced funding for our state's precedent-setting clean
energy policy. Responsible energy policies are fundamental to a strong
economy, and the "unknowns" surrounding this bill placed our economy and
our energy supplies at risk.

In Peace

Rochelle Becker, Executive Director
Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility