[ RadSafe ] Plutonium from Power Reactors

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 01:16:34 CDT 2008

Hi -

Please forgive me if this is a silly question: I thought that plutonium
produced in power reactors was not suitable for building weapons because of
significant ingrowth of several Pu isotopes making it unusable for weapons.

Could someone please clarify the proliferation issues of Pu produced in
power reactors under normal burnup conditions?

The following google hit seems to imply something different from my
"understanding".

Or is the antineutrino detector focused on research reactors?

Dan W McCarn, Geologist

Albuquerque & Houston

Antineutrino Detector <http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr08/6129>  Could Spot
Atom Bomb Cheats
IEEE Spectrum - New York,NY,USA
The IAEA could get much-needed monitoring help from a new type of detector
that researchers at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), ...

<http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ncl=http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr08/61
29> See all stories on this topic