[ RadSafe ] Plutonium from Power Reactors

Peter Bossew peter.bossew at jrc.it
Thu Apr 10 02:29:10 CDT 2008

As far as I know this question is not silly at all. Pu from power
reactors is not suitable for "serious" bombs but it seems that very
crude and "inefficient", but still unpleasant devices can be made out of
it. It could be an option for those who have no access to "good" Pu,
i.e. those who have no Pu breeder reactors and reprocessing facilities,
and would also be happy with the effect of a "somehow" exploding bomb.
The main problem with such power-grade Pu seems to be that the implosion
technology is particularly demanding. Tests with bombs made out of
reactor Pu have been carried out by the US (and others, I am sure) in
the 1960-1970s (?), allegedly "sucessfully", but apparently details were
never made public (probably for good reasons).
I think some information can be found in
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/index.html .

pb

--

Peter Bossew

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre (JRC)

TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
ITALY

Tel. +39 0332 78 9109
Fax. +39 0332 78 5466
Email: peter.bossew at jrc.it

WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission."